Excerpted from History of Penobscot County Maine, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, 1882
Municipal Oraganization The inchoate state of Newburg town, as before noted, was as “Plantation No. 2.” March 13, 1819, it emerged from the transition period, and became a full-fledged town. It was the two hundred and thirty-second created by the General Court of Massachusetts in the Distric of Maine; one of the five (and the only one in Penobscot county) incorporated in 1819, and the fifth erected before the separation of the States.
Nine days thereafter, upon the call of Rufus Gilmore, under the act of resolve of incorporation, and upon a warrant issued by Thomas A. Hill, a Justice of the Peace in Bangor, the first town meeting was held at the schoolhouse, near John Whitney’s residence. There were at this time forty voters in the town, of whom about seven-eights (thirty-four) were present, betokening the intelligent and eager interest taken in laying the foundation of permanent municipal government here. Mr. Spooner Alden was Moderator of the meeting, and Mr. Gilmore, Clerk. Both of these, with Mr. Benjamin Folsom, were elected Selectmen, Assessors, and Overseers of the new town.
A long list of honorable gentlemen, during the sixty-three years, nearly since their election, have succeeded in the town offices the citieznes chosen at this meeting for public service. Their last successors (in 1881) were: J. P. Rigby, Joseph M. Davis, Franklin Prescott, Selectmen; Chandler H. Whitcomb, Town Clerk; Jabez Knowlton, Treasurer; S. E. Mudgett, Constable and Collector; C. A. Arnold, J. W. Chapman, William Jackson, School Committee; Jabez Knowlton, C. H. Whitcomb, S. C. Emerson, J. F. Hussey, George R. Thurlough, John M. Bickford (Quorum), Charles A. Arnold (Trial), George R. Thrulough (Dedimus), Justices.