Excerpted from History of Penobscot County Maine, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, 1882
The Oringal Owner of this township, after the State of Massachusetts, was the redoubtable Revolutionary Gneral and afterwards our first Secretary of War, Henry Knox, of whom more elaborate mention is made elsewhere in this volume. Newburg is upon one of the four townships selected February 5, 1800, to make good the deficiency in the Muscongus or Waldo patent, a large share of which (that is, the additions from the present Penobscot county) was assigned to General Knox. The purchaser from him of “Plantation No. 2” (Newburgh), was Benjamin Bussey, who sold comparatively little of it, by reason of the high prices put upon it, and so held most of it until his death.
The Settlers’ Lots, in tolerable number, had to be reserved in the grant to the Waldo heirs. Aleady a goodly number of hardy pioneers were upon the soil of the Newburg to be. Between 1794 and 1798, or not long after, had come Captain and Rev. Edward Snow, a retired sea-captain, and, what is more remarkable, a Methodis minister as well, who is accredited with being the first settler; Cullum Muffit, said to have been the second on the ground; and then Messrs. George and Ichabod Bickford, Thomas Morrill, Spooner Alden, Freeman Luce, Levi Mdugett, James Morrison, Abel Hardy, Ezekiel Smith, Daniel Piper, and others. Settlement was measurably kept back for a time by the exorbitant prices asked for the land by Mr. Bussey; but after his death the heirs and agents were more reasonable in their demands, and the Plantation (or township) filled up more rapidly.